Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Story 5: “Arting” with Clay









(Click here to hear audio.)

Most of the time, whenever we met each other, me and my friends, we go played soccer or played with the clay for “arting.” That’s what we did for fun. Soccer and clay, built something.

We played somewhere outside, near the lake. We did not do clay in our house because we’ll make a mess. Whenever we needed to play with the clay, we went outside to get it. We went in the lake to get the clay. There’s some clay, good clay so you can build something. We sat near the big trees and built stuff. We brought it home.

If you got all the glazes, you can glaze your stuff, whatever you build. I mostly, when I built it, I brought it home, and I fired it. Sometimes I got some glazing colors from school. Then, I glazed it at home.

We built it just for fun. We built some good stuff. I built a house with the clay and a lot of stuff, for example, animals, like lion, giraffe, or cars. Everybody can build his own stuff, but whenever you feel like working with others, you can build with your friends.

We did one thing together, my friend and me. We built a house, like eleven or twelve inches. We built a big house and we glazed it. And now it’s a birdhouse. We made it out of little bricks, and we put them together. We made a little door in the house, so the bird can get in and get out. And there’s another entrance near the top.

We tried colors. First we built a house, we put a lot of different colors to check if the birds come in. If the birds see those colors, they fly away because they’re scared of the colors. So first we test, we put a lot of colors. So it didn’t work out. The second one then we built it. And we put blue. We tried another color. Then we thought of building the house the birds’ colors: red and blue and black. So we tried those, so the birds didn’t scared of those colors. We put red and blue and black colors to paint the house. The birds wore red, blue, and black colors. The birds were scared with other colors, like light blue and orange.

It’s in Kenya. We placed it somewhere in the forest. We put some hard plastic over the top so when the rain comes, the water won’t go inside. We built it like you build a tent. That’s how it looks like. If the rain comes, it won’t smush the birdhouse.

Sometimes we went and looked at it. The birds were using it. It’s real cool. It was really cool. I hope you see it. Now the birds live there. I don’t know if it’s still there. It was still there when I was coming here.

No comments: