Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Story 12: Prayer Rug












(Click here to hear audio.)

We call it Sali. It means prayer rug, sali. That’s where you pray. You put it down. It’s in my room. Every time you pray, you get up there and you pray. You don’t put your feet on it when you’ve got your shoes. You don’t put your feet on the rug. We pray five times a day. In the morning, 6 in the morning, then 1:00, then 4:00, then 7:00, then 8:00. It’s important to me. You cannot just play on it or just sit there, or let people walk around it. So whenever I’m done praying with it, I wrap it. I put it away.

The little thing is there to hold the Quran, the book. It’s a Kutab.

And the Quran’s open. I open it. See how you got English in here? That’s the meaning. The English is telling you the meaning; it’s not like the meaning like the translation. I read the Arabic. I got another Quran. It’s in Arabic and English. You can read and English and Arabic.

That’s my Quran. It came with me. I came with it. I brought this from Africa. I think this one is the only thing I brought and the clothes.

No comments: