Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Story 3: All We Did Was Just Play Soccer








(Click here to hear audio.)

I remember when I was seven years old. I grew up in Kenya. I saw people play soccer. We call it football. There’s nothing I made up, because I just did it how other people did it. I wasn’t really sure how I learned to play. I just saw myself playing soccer. In Kenya, children start playing soccer when they’re ready to play, about five years old.

My friends and me, all guys, all we were doing was just playing soccer. Playing soccer was the fun thing we were doing. Every time we got free time, we go play soccer. Every Friday, we don’t have school, so we go Friday morning. In the morning, it wasn’t so hot. When we were done playing soccer at 10:00 in the morning, we went home because at 11:00 it started getting hot. At 4:00 it started getting cooler, then we played soccer again. And Saturday and Sunday too we played soccer. But most of the time, whenever we met each other, me and my friends, we went to play soccer. All we did was just play soccer.

In Kenya, we weren’t really wearing cleats. We just played with our feet. If you had cleats you could not wear them. Most of the players, they didn’t have cleats. You cannot wear your cleats as you’ll hurt someone.

I played defense and I played forward. I like playing defense. I’m good in defense. I can run fast. I play forward too. I’m good at both. I actually can play anywhere in the field they put me. I play both sides. I’m good in side and defense. That’s my best position, but I can play the rest of the positions too.

After we were done playing soccer, we went to the river and we swam and we went home and took a shower. Everybody got ready for school on Monday. So, it was really fun! It was really fun to play soccer.

No comments: