Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Story 1: Memories of Somalia








(Click to hear audio)

I born in Somalia, but I moved to Kenya when I was little. I can’t really tell much about Somalia. I was like two years old. But I can tell some.

I went back in Somalia when I was seven years old. We stayed there two to three months. Then we came back in Kenya. In Somalia, when I went back, my parents and me went to my grandfather’s house. So we stayed there for three months, and we go to the garden everywhere. It was good too.

In Somalia you can build your house, you know. You don’t have to pay for the land, because that’s your country. So, you can build your own house and you got that then. You grow corn, banana, mangos, all those. I go to the garden with my uncle. They have big mango trees. You can go in there. It’s our garden.

In Somalia, if I buy something, everybody can take it. The family can take it. So we can do everybody well in the family. Nobody says like, “That’s not yours.” You can just have it. But you just have to ask for it. You cannot just go and grab. You have to ask me for it, and then I tell you, “You can have it. You can have it.” You know?

No comments: