Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Story 10: How We Became Friends









(Click here to hear audio.)


I got friends in the U.S.

When I came to the U.S., I started in 7th grade. Three of students in classes were there from my country. They spoke my language. And they showed me everything. They made me understand how everything worked, because they came here before me.

They really explained the schedule. They were in all my classes. They walked me to my classes to show me which room it was. They showed me the way you work, the way my schedule looks, and what classes I got, and where to take the bus.

If the teacher asked me a question that I didn’t understand, my friends helped me to answer the question.

So they were telling me, and that’s how we become friends.

When I came to the U.S., I thought it was going to be same as Kenya. When I came here, I didn’t have no friends. Then I made friends in the school, but I was new in the country. I didn’t know where my house was located. When the class ended, everybody went home. I didn’t know where to go. In Kenya, friends go together after school. In the U.S., friends go different directions. They don’t really got time too. There’s nothing to do. I didn’t see all those things I can play with in Kenya.

No comments: