Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Story 13: I Teach









(Click here to hear audio.)

I teach in another Muslim school in the U.S. There’s other little kids now growing up. They were born here some of them, and some of them come here but they never have been to Muslim school. So on Saturday and Sunday we just go to one place, and all the kids will come. My cousin used to be the teacher. Now he goes to college in Massachusetts. Now I teach them. I write for them. I tell them what’s right and what’s wrong. I want them to be good persons and to learn about their religion. I don’t want them to lose their religion.

I know a lot, so I want to share with them. And every parent they bring their kids so I teach them. Just one class, fifty of them. It’s a hard time, but you know kids when they don’t listen. I’ve been teaching them a long time.

I teach them the Muslim book, the Quran, that’s what we call it. I don’t know if you’ve seen that. It’s not just like you read in a book. You can open that book and read. But the Quran you cannot read it. It’s too hard, so you’ve got to learn.

The school is by one of my uncle’s house. You can teach in a mosque too, but it’s not a public place. If you got a big living room, everybody can come and will sit. It’s a very good place. I get respect.

No comments: